Wouldn’t you love to see inside Enigma and hear all about the cuisine?
Well then, we aren’t going to be able to tell you much of anything. It’s not because we don’t want to, it’s because under a gentleman’s agreement*, what happens at Enigma stays at Enigma ~ and Las Vegas thought it was the only place seductive enough to place such demands.
(* one of our readers contacted us on 1/3/2018 to say he thought the restriction on posting publicly was lifted. We suggest checking with Enigma staff and/or Albert Adria the night of your reservation to clear this before posting anything publicly. The policy will likely evolve over time.)
Albert Adrià is very serious about keeping the experience private to those who have dined at the restaurant and we completely support it. Why spoil the mystery for the next guest? Plus, it’s a bit of an underground food movement involving a resurrection of sorts.
The mere concept of Enigma is mysterious and it’s hard to retain mystery in an era of social media, but we are more than happy to help in the endeavor.
Here are the things we can tell you.
- There are 6 core enigmas and a few mini-enigmas built into the experience starting with things you take for granted like opening a door and making a reservation and using the wash room. To get into the restaurant, there is an electronic keypad with a pin and code, but no further instructions, so we had to re-enter the code four times and try different means to actually get the door open. Not an easy task, but turns out you just need to pull really hard as the door is very heavy. Observe our struggling (posted soon to Instagram) and by design, there’s no one to greet you or bail you out if you can’t figure things out. So arrive early and be prepared to fight with the door.
- You change locations a total of five times ending up in six different rooms. The experience lasts on the short end 3.5 hours and on the long end 5 hours, it’s entirely up to you how long you wish to stretch it out.
- You can take as many photos as you wish, but for personal use only.
- The end (engima 6) is the biggest surprise!
- You will be in awe. You will be out of your comfort zone. You will laugh and think hard at times. What you think you know or can guess, you won’t even come close! You will have a lot of questions which eventually you will have answers for. This reaches beyond the constraints of “fine dining” and enters a new realm of “cutting edge dining” with all the finest ingredients sourced internationally and morphed together to satiate your appetite and make your head explode.
Make reservations here: Engima Concept Barcelona
E & B Woodward
Tastemakers World’s 50 Best Restaurants
Download our e-book! We share our secrets for traveling the world and eating famous without breaking the bank.